[RC] Fixed vs. Incremental Costs vs. Perspective - Don Huston

To even consider the idea that LD should cost less because it uses less trail is the wrong perspective. The current "endurance" perspective is defined by AERC and they will not sanction a 25, it must be part of a 50. Therefore the entire ride has to be focused on the 50 (or more) miles of trail with all the water and vets etc to function safely. The fact that RM's have been willing to go out of their way to provide a safe place for beginners to start by providing the LD has now given birth to the "it's not fair to charge the same for LD" mentality because of the incorrect focus on the miles ridden. That LD trail is your choice but it requires 50 miles of trail and water and vets before it is available for you to chose it. In reality all riders should pay the same. If you want to lower your cost per mile just ride endurance.

That incorrect focus on LD miles has also been innocently perpetuated by AERC recording mileage on LD. AERC started recording those miles as a small way to recognize LD achievement but now those miles have morphed into some kind of proof that LD is endurance because after all they have miles. The old saying, "Give'm an inch and they'll take a mile" seems to be at work here.

This LD unhappiness reminds me of the story about little 4yo Johnny (over charged LDer). The neighbor lady saw him walk by her house 3 times and on the 4th she went out and asked, "Where are you going?" He said, "I'm mad at my mom (RM) and running away from home (for charging too much)." The lady asked, "Why then do you keep coming by my house (attending AERC rides) instead of running away?" Johnny replied, "Because I'm not supposed to cross the street (no stand alone LD per AERC rules)." :-)