Re: [RC] The Real Reason (s) It Is a False Analogy - Elizabeth Walker

I have to go with Kat on this one.

On Jul 9, 2008, at 2:36 AM, Joe Long wrote:

What is undeniably true is that a rider in the 50-mile ride is getting twice as many miles of trail as a 25-mile rider. And about twice as much riding time. Yet you keep trying to find ways to justify charging the same for it.

But - one of the main reasons I would enter a LD is that I don't *want* to ride those extra miles of trail.

Besides - If I understand Kat's position: the miles of trail don't cost anything. It is the cost of vets to break away and support the LD finish, to pick one, that can actually make an LD cost more to produce. The cost of the meal to the rider, the cost of hay at the vet checks, etc., etc. is the same for an LD rider as for a 50 miler. None of those things are dependent on the miles of trail, and the cost to the RM is the same.

That's because you're looking at it backwards. You might as well say, if I only want a small popcorn I shouldn't mind paying the same price as a large popcorn because I only wanted the small one anyway.

Bad analogy ... a small popcorn requires less popcorn seed be popped, so it costs the vendor less to produce.

If you want a different analogy -- movie theaters charge the same for all movies in a time block (evening or matinee). There is a price break between evening and matinee, but that is to encourage people to come fill their theater during non-peak times. Within a time block, all the movies cost the same, but not all movies have the same running time. They don't charge less for a movie with a short running time.