RE: [RC] Fixed vs. Incremental Costs vs. Perspective - Don Huston

Hello Carrie,

I too have not seen any LD unhappiness at any of the rides I attend here in SoCal. It only appears here on ridecamp. My post was directed only at the very few who feel that LD riders have been treated unfairly and charged too much etc. Don't forget that I am also allowed to voice my opinion. As far as touting someone as a crybaby or a whiner, that comes into play when a rider knows in advance exactly what the ride fees are because they are all printed on the entry form and then chooses the LD ride and then complains because it's not a fair price. That to me is whinning.

It is a free country. They did not have to sign up for that LD ride. They could become a RM and set their LD fees as low as they want. Instead they second guess the RM on costs and insist that LD should cost less because of less mileage ridden. I disagree. The entire 50 (or more) miles of trail and vets and water and dinner etc has to be set up and paid for before one single LD rider can start. The fact that most RM's do charge a little less for the LD is mostly a gift to compensate a little for the lesser miles.

The "Give'm an inch and they'll take a mile" is an attitude thing. LD was started as a training venue, no racing, no points, but mileage was recorded as a perk and for training purposes. Now those recorded miles and finish times and BC are being seen by some as possible proof that LD is endurance no matter what the AERC book says. Do you see the inch and the mile thing?

I think LD is alive and well and enjoyed by the vast majority including me sometimes. I also think RM's are doing a great job of keeping their prices within our reach considering the work involved. I was also very glad to see your comment " Personally, I'm thrilled with LDs and the fact that they exist at all and I appreciate every inch of effort that goes into them." Any RM reading that will be pleased and I second that sentiment for any distance I am able to ride.

Don Huston