Re: [RC] [RC] LD and Placings - Truman Prevatt

While an LD doesn't cost 1/2 of the 50 - it doesn't cost the same either because the vet cost which can be significant is less. Personally when I budgeted rides I estimated the base cost based per rider on a number of riders in all distances (I probably used 60 to 70). That took care of the camping, food, etc that all would get equally. Then based on the number I expected in each distance - I would estimate the vet cost. The 50's require vets all day, the LD's don't for example. Living in FL horse country I had access to lot of local vets that would love work half a day and it was a good way from them to learn the sport.

From my memory the LD's cost about 75% to 80% of what the 50's cost. I think most of the rides in the SE now tend to be at about that rate. I think that's pretty fair.

Truman

Joe Long wrote:

Yes, when you go to a ride many of the management costs are the same no matter which distance you ride. Some are different (those in the shorter rides see the vets less often and take less of their time). But a 50-mile rider gets to ride more miles, and more hours, than a 25-mile rider. Why should both of them pay the same? Just like at the ball game or the theater, those who "get" more should pay more, even though the costs to the promoter may be the same.

I've been saddened to see the costs of LD rides rising to equal the longer distances at many rides. Along with the non-member fees, I believe that by doing this we are "eating our seed corn." Anything that we do that discourages new riders from trying our sport, and discourages them from coming back for a second or third try, can lead to losing people who might have become avid endurance riders for years to come -- and along with that losing their future entry fees and membership dues.

Penny-wise and pound foolish.

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil