Re: [RC] [RC] LD and Placings - FXLivestock

In a message dated 07/07/2008 6:42:19 AM Pacific Standard Time, carrie.kitley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I could care less about tangible awards or recognition, per se, but if
LD's aren't considered "endurance" but training towards endurance, why
are LD riders charged the same AERC fees?

Because "ride" costs are the same for both distances is a very good reason.  Think of the basecamp costs, vet costs, volunteer perks, trail marking,  land agency permit fees, meals, water/hay stops, awards.  Many of these are shared by ALL RIDERS.

I think it is interesting that because you call something a "training" ride that it should cost less even though you have all the perks of a sanctioned ride.  I do 45-50 mile "training" rides with like minded riders and we do it bare bones.  Let me tell you, even though at this point I use both 25 & 50 mile AERC rides as "TRAINING" rides, I am more than willing to pay whatever the ride entry is because someone else has done all the work to put on a "catered, safe" ride for me.  I would think that the record keeping costs are really minimal when it comes to a ride.

You might enjoy the sport more if you stop putting a lesser value on the LD distance and just consider both endurance and LD part of  distance riding and just different.  As I mention before, different can mean different distance, different rules,  different criteria, and different ways the organization recognizes accomplishment.  IF you are really out there as you say, because of new places to ride and camp with your horses the cost of an LD as related to the cost of other distances should be really low on your radar because you ARE getting the same benefits of  camping, new trails, meals, vets and ride staff, etc as any other distance (including both CTR & RAT) that is at the same venue!

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648