Re: [RC] [RC] LD and Placings - Joe Long

FXLivestock@xxxxxxx wrote:

Because "ride" costs are the same for both distances is a very good reason. Think of the basecamp costs, vet costs, volunteer perks, trail marking, land agency permit fees, meals, water/hay stops, awards. Many of these are shared by ALL RIDERS.

When you go to a baseball game, every person there sees the same game, the same players, in the same facility -- but some seats cost a great deal more than others. Because the quality of the experience is different from different seats.

When you go to a live theater, you see the same actors, hear the same musicians, have the same heat/AC, and the building is cleaned by the same janitors. But some seats cost a lot more than others. Because the quality of the experience is different from different seats.

Yes, when you go to a ride many of the management costs are the same no matter which distance you ride. Some are different (those in the shorter rides see the vets less often and take less of their time). But a 50-mile rider gets to ride more miles, and more hours, than a 25-mile rider. Why should both of them pay the same? Just like at the ball game or the theater, those who "get" more should pay more, even though the costs to the promoter may be the same.

I've been saddened to see the costs of LD rides rising to equal the longer distances at many rides. Along with the non-member fees, I believe that by doing this we are "eating our seed corn." Anything that we do that discourages new riders from trying our sport, and discourages them from coming back for a second or third try, can lead to losing people who might have become avid endurance riders for years to come -- and along with that losing their future entry fees and membership dues.

Penny-wise and pound foolish.

--
Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx