[RC] What not to say to a newbie - Beth Leggieri

Well, that's easy.  On the the top of my list is:  "You can take any horse out of the pasture and do an LD," or some such version of that thinking.   (Darcy, your summary of Valentina's preparation was just wonderful!)

Please take a moment and post the "most important piece of advice" you *weren't* given and had to learn the hard way -- or  "what you wish you knew then that you know now."

Several folks I know are considering endurance, and it would be helpful to include these contributions when speaking with them.  Our AERC website has great information for newbies as well, which I plan to use.  Any other ideas?

There is a balance between information overload that leads to "paralysis of analysis" and preparing a rider with enough facts and information to keep themselves and their horses out of trouble, while having a good time in the process.  So what is that balance?  How much does a responsible, careful rider need to know to get out there on the endurance trail?

Thanks!  Beth in Texas