Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:11:28 -0700
From: cest.mon.virage@xxxxxxxxx
To: klmayeda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] How can I tell when horse is ready for an LD?
CC: bwalker2@xxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd like to see the statistics of those who start a horse right out of the pasture that are still competing years down the road.  Seriously, I'd like to see those statistics.  I equate that statement to the race trainers that say, "yeah, I took this horse right off the farm three weeks ago, put a few miles on it, got it's gates done, and entered it into a race and he/she won!"  Well, unfortunately, most of those 30 day wonders didn't last more than 30-60 days at the track or on the Fair Circuit!  As  a matter of fact - most Fair Circuit horses don't make it to the Class A tracks!  They are pretty used up by the end of the Fair Season!

Speaking for myself and my own horses.  I'll take my time!  Case in point is my Valentina, a now, twelve year old, Arabian, mare - raised in a stall much of her life until I took over the stable that she was housed.  When I took over the stable she was 5 years old (abandoned by her previous owner).  I let her run the 30 acre, very hilly, pasture for two years before I attempted to do ANYTHING with her.  Why?  Because she was a neurotic MESS!   You don't keep a 16 hand, Arabian, in a 12x24 pen most of it's life!   After two years I had a local girl working with her.  I found her, the local girl,  behind the lower barn one night, beating on Valentina.  the girl said, "I am teaching her some manners!"  I took the reins from the girl, stepped back and fell over a rock (very dark night) and Valentina went over the top of me, trying to avoid landing on me, but caught one of her hind legs into my pelvic.  Yeah, fractured my pelvic, and, put me out of riding for about three years!  Off Valentina went to Denny Hansen.  It took Denny six days a week, for six months, to get that horse's brain!   Denny worked with Valentina for about a year.  So, at 8 years old, she came back to me after we bought the ranch in Placerville.  Over the next four years I have slowly and methodically put the time and miles on Valentina.  Exposing her to many different horses, riders, riding venues, etc.  While trying to get myself back into condition after so many years off of riding due to the pelvic injury and a neck and back injury, by an accident,  when loading a stallion for transport (he was furious he was being taken from his herd).  So, here we are, four years down the road.

Where are we now?  Jay Randle, while here from Australia, in March, came out and road her 15 miles (from the Overlook to Cool and back).  When I asked Jay what she thought, she said, "she's ready D'Arcy!"   At last!!!  Now, what is the hold back.  As I mentioned earlier in one of my emails - she likes to be FIRST all of time.  After our outing with Ranelle and Fellow - she is ready for a 25 - with me!  She is probably ready for a 30-50 with someone else.  I know my limits and I know my horses limits.  So, making a blanket statement might not be the most prudent when discussing whether a horse is or is not ready for it's first 25, 30, 50 or 100.  When all is said and done I will have SEVEN years into Valentina's training.  Because that is what it took for THAT horse!

What is the next best when trying to figure this all out.  Use the MENTOR SYSTEM on AERC.  The list is long and wide!  No matter where you live in the US or Canada - there is going to be someone on that Mentor List for you to get help from.  Meet them at a ride.  Arrange a consultation!  Take a horse to ride even if you are not going to ride (still pay the money) and have your horse 'hang out' to get acclimated to the Ride Camp venue!

We are quite fortunate, here in the heart of Endurance Country, there are so many more experienced TEVIS individuals  who are willing to mentor someone.  It never ceases to amaze me how helpful everyone truly is.  Even at the cost of their own training agenda - to take the time to mentor a newbie!  Thank you Mentors!  You are the BEST!

D'Arcy