Re: [RC] [RC] How can I tell when horse is ready for an LD? - Kathy Mayeda

I don't think it should take 2 years to condition a horse for LDs.  Yes, of course your first year on your horse's back should be Long Slow Distance, keep your horse sane types of rides, but it sounds like you are beyond that. I was told by someone that you can pull a horse that is kept in pasture and be able to finish an LD without any conditioning.  Maybe they are just talking about Arabs, I dunno.

If your horse is ridden on the trail regularly and is manageable in groups, I don't think it would be a problem to finish the LD.  I finished my 1st LD without much "scientific" thought, and so have several of my friends.  We are just all avid trail riders.  I went on to riding 50's after my 1st LD because he did well and continued to ride 50's until I somewhat retired him several years ago.  We do an occasional LD right now just for fun to ride with people on their first LD's without a whole lot of conditioning.

I do like to do a big hill ride two weeks before the ride, especially for 50's.  I think after a month you would be losing some of that condition.

K.