[RC] How can I tell when horse is ready for an LD? - Betsy Thomas

I have been working on conditioning my pony for an LD. She is noticeably fitter and in better shape than she was a few months ago.

So, how can I tell when she's fit enough to attempt an LD? She's not there yet, it's still a work in progress, but I was wondering this.

Here are some assumptions I'm working with, too, you can let me know if I'm mistaken.

- She needs to go at a 5 mph moving average in order to get a completion.

- She is a Mustang and built thicker than an Arab, so I'm going to assume her pulse-down rates will generally be slower than the little arabs I see trotting around.

- I don't actually have to ride 25 miles on a conditioning ride in order to think she can do an LD, or if I do, I can make it slower than a race.

Right now our longest conditioning ride has been 16.3 miles and it was done at a 4 mph rate. Typical "short weekday workout" right now is 5 or 6 miles done at between 5.0 and 5.2 mph. This includes a warmup walking mile but not the cooldown mile. If I include the cooldown mile in my rate, it goes down under 5 mph.

I don't use a HRM and my stethoscope broke a while back, but she's pretty good at letting me know when she's tired. Good little pony. Handles uneven ground like a champ and just gets into her "work mode" and trucks along. We did 10 miles over hills last weekend and included more cantering than we usually do because, when we weren't in crowds of hikers or on really nasty hills, we used some flat ground and good trail visibility to make up time. She was pretty tired at the end, not like exhausted or anything just her walk got pretty slow even though we were headed back to the barn.

Thanks,
Betsy