Re: [RC] What not to say to a newbie - Betsy Thomas

Thanks, I am taking notes here :-)

I have a mentor, just not an endurance rider. He is a recreational distance rider who typically rides 15 to 20 miles at a pace consistent with endurance condtioning. The public trails around here are the suburban-hairy-roadside type and my horse is way more confident out there with someone to follow. Plus said guy has a trailer and a key to the gated private-trail system, so it works for me even if he doesn't have anything made of biothane...

I've learned a lot about basic trail riding and just putting in the hours of LSD conditioning has taught me a lot from the School of Hard Knocks. I once was at a big group ride and was really hungry but a group of people wanted to go ride on a nearby beach so I skipped lunch. I am not the sort of person who can skip lunch. By the time I realized I needed to go into my stash of balance-bars from my cantle pack, I was too messed up to twist around and deal with the zippers. We were on a really crowded beach and horse was really amped. I ended up mostly passed out and had a few seconds where I thought I was going to completely pass out and fall off the horse. Two guys stayed back with me for a while and had to hand me food until I was human again, but see, I learned something.

Two rides later I have an easy-to-reach pommel bag and the guts to be able to say "we need to slow to a walk for a minute so I can eat this and not pass out" when I need to.

I've learned to have a backpack with various things I'd need if my horse and I part ways. I've learned not to figure someone else will have it, in case they don't. Horse has her own ID in her bags.

I've learned not to royally piss off one's riding companion, to the point of not speaking, while in the middle of f***ing nowhere and hours away from the trailer. Man, that was a long, long ride LOL. I think next time I'm offered a ride when I'm PMSing I need to make up some sort of mystery lameness for my mare.

Lots of little stuff like tying quick-release knots the right way, how to load a horse into a trailer, knowing my saddle is more likely to slip forwards than backwards, what my horse normally acts like after 5 miles, 10 miles, 15 miles. Know what terrain she might have problems with and what I can trust her to navigate without my getting in her way.

I've ridden this horse past more weird things than I could imagine. Suburban trails can be great for desensitization and learning how to ride spooks. And the time we ended up in a mountain-biker-haven park, that was useful too. I still remember the biker that was careening over the top of this huge hill and we were at the bottom and I received the the eerily quiet instruction "turn her towards the bike, and hang on." I didn't fall off, she took about 10 fast steps sideways but no bucks and that was way better than I was thinking she'd be. She is getting used to craziness, and I'm learning to stay centered over my feet.

Oh, and I actually finally opened and closed a gate today without having to dismount. Major victory :-)

I guess, at some point I'll realize the next distance ride ought to be 25 miles over 6 hours and that is when I'll put her in an official ride.

Thanks,
Betsy