RE: [RC] Don't touch my mouth!!!! Testing capillary refill. - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Or maybe a vet with a bigger attitude. At a ride many moons ago, there
was young vet. It was a female of short stature. The Jbird for what
ever reason decided that she was not going to look in his mouth and
since she was short and he is tall all he would have to do was raise
his head so she could not reach it. He was belligerent - she just
wasn't going to look in his mouth. The other vet was a male and no
problem. We managed to get through that ride somehow.

The next week at River Run, Megan Davis was checking him in. I told
Megan about his new found disdain for women vets. She made a comment
that it would not be a problem, and before he knew it his gums were
checked. He was actually a little incensed but no problems since then.

It would be better to work on the problem at home, but unless he is
belligerent and dangrous about it you might take him to a ride take
him up to check in when the vet has plenty of time and tell them what
is going on. Most vets will work with you.
Truman

I don't think I'm the only vet on the West Coast that's getting pretty tired
of riders that can't or won't school their own horses, and then expect the
vet to do it for them.  I can't think of any out here that need 'bigger'
attitudes, either.  And I've heard similar comments from vets from many
other regions, SE included.

I don't have a problem with working with a horse that's just being silly,
excited or distracted---it's part of the job, regardless of venue,
regardless of species.  More so if the rider approaches the vet area when
there isn't a line twenty horses long.  I do have a problem being presented
with a dangerous situation, not only for myself, but also for the sake of
the other horses and riders usually standing nearby, and for volunteer P&R
crew.  Horses that object violently to a gentle touch on their face often
also decide that anyone holding a stethoscope to their side is fair game as
well.

Mel is again to be commended for recognizing a potentially dangerous
situation ahead of time.  I wish more used that presence of mind.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM