[RC] Don't touch my mouth!!!! Testing capillary refill. - Mellifluous

I have an older mare that I was thinking of conditioning up so that my friend can do some LDs with me.  She has fabulous ground manners and is very sweet until you try to touch her mouth.  Her previous owners really did a number on her mouth and she will NOT let you even get close to touching her mouth unless she is sedated.  Trust me, I have tried to work her through her fears with a variety of methods with little success.  So, instead of pushing the issue, I ride her in a hackamore and squirt her wormer on her feed.

Is there any other way that the vets can check capiallary refill besides pressing on her gums.  Even if they could get their fingers in her mouth, they would be hard pressed to keep them their long enough to tell what is going on.  This is the only obstacle I have to entering this mare in an LD.

Thanks!

Mel

Make distant family not so distant with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™. Start now!