RE: [RC] Don't touch my mouth!!!! Testing capillary refill. - Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM said
I don't think I'm the only vet on the West Coast that's getting pretty
tired
of riders that can't or won't school their own horses, and then expect the
vet to do it for them

I have a fairly unique situation with my mare who will begin competition
next year.  She had the nerve on the left side of her face severed as a
young foal and had to drink her food for several months.  She had no control
of her lower lip on that side of her mouth.  Eventually she regained control
but does not like to have that side messed with at all.  She is fine on the
other side.  I have not even tried to put a bit in her mouth, she is only
bitless.  I plan on letting all of the vets know about the injury and ask
that thy check from the front or the other side.  I of course will work with
her to make sure that she behaves, but for a more pleasurable experience the
other side would be better.  I don't think it makes a difference medically
does it?  I know it is faster to do everything from the same side and I do
not usually make excuses for my horses behavior but I am sure that she has
some long term nerve issues on that side.  Any other suggestions?

Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk
584 Romie Howard Rd.
Yoncalla OR 97499
541-849-2460