Re: [RC] Cat shot - OT - Truman Prevatt

When I was a kid living in Western KY, people would come out "to the country" to dump dogs they didn't want or had grown too large for the city. They would form into packs. We raised cattle. Dog packs don't mix with cattle so about twice a year we had to go "dog hunting." It was not my favorite thing to do but it had to be done and we got quite good at it.

We never had any issues with neighbors dogs - most were bird dogs and I don't think bird dogs are prone to chase cattle or run in packs. But the dogs dropped off we always had trouble with. The best thing is if your animal is bothering a neighbor - keep the animal away from the neighbor. In most states if an animal is on your property and bothering your person or livestock, you have the perfect right to eliminate the problem.

I agree with Ed if you have to do that, make sure the animal just disappears from the face of the earth. Many times people move to the country and think they have the right to let their dog run wild. Most of them will respond when you inform them that their dog is being a problem. Some won't and in my part of the world those that won't tend to be looking for a new dog. The locals that have lived her forever just won't put up with it.

Truman

SandyDSA@xxxxxxx wrote:
It is hard to "weigh in" on either side of this sad situation; unfortunately, in the great and overrun state of California, you are required to keep your pet on your own property.

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas