[RC] From Cat to dogs charging - Faustina Duffy

The discussion on the roaming animals has been great to read-thanks, everyone, for keeping it balanced and trying to keep things positive!

It brings to my mind a situation I regularly have to deal with, and I was wondering if I could collect some methods that any of you have found helpful.

Here's the basic situation:  Where I live, it is very rural, but all of the land is privately owned and fenced, leaving very few trails for conditioning.  Not really a big problem, though, as the roads are windy and rough enough that even the wildest drivers can't make it to very high speeds.  There are also VERY few of those.  An 8 mile ride MIGHT let me see 2 vehicles...

But, (there's always one of those, no?) there are several houses along the route that have dogs which invariably come charging out into the road as I ride by.  There aren't often a nuisance to neighbors livestock (or the neighbors likely WOULD Shoot, Shovel and Shush), but they seem to feel that they MUST drive off that immense equid on THEIR road way.  I don't mind the barking and yapping, especially when they stop at their yard boundary.  It's the ones who get more and more aggressive with each pass (have recently had one swinging from my young mares tail-she impressed me to no end by taking it calmly) that concern me.

Owners are rarely home, or if they are, they ignore the commotion (or worse, yell futilely for darling Scruffy to "get back here!!")  I am NOT comfortable riding into yards belonging to the animals to try to get anyone's attention.  I have in the past had one arterial puncture to my gelding's right rear fetlock from a "playful nip" as the owner described it to her cousin the Sheriff (can you guess how well THAT was handled?) and on a different occasion had a Shepard  swinging from a pony mare's muzzle (had to get off and KICK the dog to make him release...dog entered my pasture and chased a foal the next day and was never seen again).  (These events were quite some time back, not recent....just laying out a little history).

I am seeing the same behavior patterns of steadily increasing aggression in some of the dogs I have to pass.  The dog that would stand off about 20 yards and bark 2 months ago but today swung from Frostbite's tail being one had begun small charges coming closer and closer until today it attempted a grab.  Others are approaching closer and closer (at other farms, as well.  Indeed, the dog who grabbed today is a lab/pit cross (according to a neighbor who heard me cussing him) that has a "pack" of pets from the same place consisting of about 8 different forms of mutts (some are quite cute, but they are making me VERY nervous lately, they are ALL getting bolder).  And they follow me farther and farther from their home of late.

What are ways to handle this that have worked for any of you?  Both to stop the acts of the dogs OR ways to get the owners to help?  The "Your dog might get run over approach is rarely effective because the roads are too bad for a driver to go fast enough to seem much of a threat.

Thanks in Advance!!