From: Truman Prevatt [mailto:tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wed 12/5/2007 4:17 AM
To: Endurance Net
Cc: Sisu West Ranch; LIESENS Leonard (COMM); ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   Malaysia WEC2008 - qualifications criterias

Seems to be a "Catch 22." You don't want to send a horse that can not
safely put the hammer down and have a chance to get it done. You don't
want a horse to have to have put out his fastest ride at the WEC. The
selection process needs to determine what horses (and riders) can safely
move up to the next level - especially if we have any desire to be
anything but also runs.

On the other hand to do so and test the horses in the selection process
to see if they can handle the stress, puts them in risk of a metabolic
pull. While such pulls should be taken seriously they should be
evaluated on their own merit concerning the capability of the horse to
perform. It may simply point out a hole in his conditioning rather than
a indicator that he can't succeed if conditioned properly.

You are looking at sending a team of horses that have not been tested
and could not be up to the task in which case the WEC would put them at
great risk or you are looking at potentially eliminating your best
horses during the process.
So it seems you are damed if you do and damed if you don't.

I actually think the FEI is going in the correct direction and hopefully
the AERC will follow their lead in elevating the concern over horse
welfare. However, I think the FEI concept needs a little more work
before it is ready for prime time.

Truman

--

"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how
smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong" Richard