Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [RC] More rules and structure - Truman Prevatt

But what it would do is place more work on the RM to know who the "extra rules applied to" if it were say applied to only new riders. It would put more requirements on the AERC office to publish such a list and how would they know who are new riders? It would probably impact the AERC data base.

It would probably put more work on the timers, pulse takers and vets to keep track of these new requirements.

No rule is free of impact. While some regions might have issues with new riders ( and Susan says she thinks the PS does ) - in the SE we have little. Why? Beats me. The LD's have been an integral part of the sport for a long time here and new riders come in - go to the new rider meetings and take care of their horses. I had been doing the sport for 10 years before I saw the first LD horse treated. That day was 95 degrees and muggy (although it was March) and the ride was a 35 in deep sand. The horse was dehydrated but not too severe and with 10 liters of fluids he perked right up. I won't tell you how many 50's and 100's I had seen hooked up by the time I saw the first LD.

So if some regions are having issues with LD riders, I suggest that concerned members from that region get together and figure out what is going on in that regions and determine how to best address it. Regional organizations are very good a addressing regional issues. Trust me folks it is not a national problem. And as such we don't need a national rule to solve what seems to be a regional problem.

Truman

Beth Walker wrote:
Some of the proposals would not affect experienced, conscientious riders. Adding rules which apply only to novice riders, or riders under probation, etc. would not affect anyone else, and it would address the not-so-isolated incidents.

I like the idea of a minimum time cap, or more stringent vet criteria, and different colored ride cards for that one segment. Other ideas like re-structuring a-la the Australian system, or changing the nature of LDs, etc. are much more sweeping than this idea.