RE: [RC] More rules and structure - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

It always puzzles me that when one incident happens because of one person’s poor choices or bad behavior, a large number of people feel that incident warrants >a whole new set of rules.  I think that isolated incidences should be seen as just that.

In general, I don’t want more rules either, and for the vast majority of us with half a brain and the minimum sense of responsibility towards our horse, we don’t need more than one or two guidelines of how a ride is organized.

I don’t think this Mariposa incident is nearly as isolated as you’d think.  It was just more extreme, and more visible, because of the extent and emotions involved.  New riders overriding their horse is pretty common, though, at least here in the PSW where I vet and ride.  I can think of at least one new rider at every ride I’ve vetted/attended in the past year (my feeble memory doesn’t go back any further than that) where they were just plain going too fast, and weren’t allowing their horse the support it needed (food, water, a breather) to adequately complete.  If they were meeting criteria, they thought they were fine and ignored multiple voices of experiences telling them to slow down.  Some of them squeaked by (and would then remember their placing and ‘success’, not that they just barely squeaked by), others needed treatment.  One horse last year was close enough to death that I had the bottle of euthanasia solution out on the tail of my truck with two 60 ml  syringes ready to go.  The horse survived with very aggressive treatment, barely, but we were up all night with that one, too.  And the rider purportedly loved her horse, kept begging me to save her, but she wouldn’t listen to riders all day advising her to let her horse drink, to slow down.  No, she didn’t beat it or spur it, but the horse still almost died.  It was her first ride and she called herself a ‘trainer’.  Had she been riding under a more stringent set of criteria, maybe it would still have happened, maybe it wouldn’t.  It would have been a tool for the vets to use, though.

I realize it’s another set of rules for the majority to tolerate in order to try to rein in the minority.  But I’m not sure the ‘minority’ is as small as you might think it is.

JMO.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM