Re: [RC] Rule Change Proposal - Jessica Spoone-Raines

My first objection would be I take excellent care of my horse on the trail, don't hurry at all and come in in about 3 hours on a 25 mile ride. This would work great for horses that have a working trot around 7-8 mph but my horses working trot is 10-12 and when he is extending his trot he will actually pass horses cantering. With a rule like this we would have been dq'd 2 of our first 3 rides. Our ride times were 3:11, 5:00, 3:14. The 5 hour one we started late then I had to take a friend back to camp who had umm imbibed a bit too much and couldnt stay on her horse then got lost, oh and it was a 30 instead of a 25 lol. The other 2 we werent hurrying and both included moments of meandering along a pretty section with the stirrups kicked off. As for the hr, standards are already set toward the arab types, what happens when somebody rides their big beefy but excellent trail horse who doesnt drop to 30 when all movement ceases? I know I sound like a total pessimist but I just think that could end up catching all the wrong people and turning people off from the sport. I know I would never bother with it again when I got dq'd even though my horse was in excellent shape and finished with plenty to go on still. Now that said what I would agree to is something along the lines of no person with less than 3 successful completions at a given distance can place top ten or be given an award relating to top ten such as bc. This would work for all distances, so a person competing at ld moves up to 50's they now have to complete 3 50's before they can qualify for top ten or bc. I don't think we are going to make a complete catchall system but encouraging riders to slow down or at least making there no rewards for going fast will help a lot.
Jessica Spoone-Raines