[RC] falling off the horse-long - Elysa Braunstein

Hi, I've fallen off my horse - again. This time I cracked some ribs (upper
left, beneath shoulder blade). It's not as bad as the last big spill I took,
where I broke some ribs lower down and couldn't move (different horse!!), and I
feel better than the time I fell off after someone was shooting near us and I
got a concussion. Don't worry, I was wearing a helmet at all times. There have
been many times he's spooked and I haven't fallen off, and a few times where I
came off and didn't hurt myself. My problem is I can't stick his spook very
well (obviously!). My non-riding friends think I'm insane to want to ride, and
my endurance friends are also beginning to wonder about me. Splendor does not
have a mean bone in his body, but he is excitable.

Here are my questions:
1., how long before I can ride again (my other, non-spooky horse)? Do I just
wait til it stops hurting too much?
2., anyone have any suggestions other than a velcro-butt graft?
3., how many times have you ridecampers fallen off a horse before you started
questioning your sanity regarding that particular horse?
4., on average, how many times do you fall off per year?

I probably fall off 2-3 times per year. I've probably ridden 2000 miles for my
AERC 450 ;-) I had open abdominal surgery 3 months ago. I am built like a
weeble (but I do fall down) (for people under 40, that means I'm short, fat,
and have teeny-tiny legs and arms - ooooooh, pretty!). (I am trying to lose
weight, and I exercise both on the horse and off). I think Splendor is a
wonderful horse. I still take riding lessons, from an excellent rider and
teacher. Any problems I have are my fault, not hers. Trust me, she's INCREDIBLY
patient with me. I have had some fear issues, but those may be behind me. I
ride in a Big Horn Endurance saddle, and a Specialized Trailmaster saddle.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Elysa