Re: [RC] falling off the horse-long - Truman Prevatt

My experience with ribs. In '95 I broke 3 at the Biltmore when my horse went down in the bud after jumping a ditch. I cracked 3. I was riding the next weekend. She was a very stable horse and I only remember coming off her three times in the years I rode her. One was the time above, one was when we were surprised by a rattlesnake and the other was when she had a deer jump out of the brush right in front of her nose.

Two years ago I broke four, two completely through and two half way through. I also had some blood on my lung from the fall. This was a new horse I was bringing along and he helped me off when he became a bronco. I no longer am bringing him along. I was back on a horse at 7 weeks. However, it was a good calm horse and I got an eventing vest to start back riding in. I used the vest for about 6 weeks before I rode without it.

You know how bad your injuries are - but you can ride again.

As far as coming off - it happens but it should like it happens to you more than in should. It seems that your horse is "very reactive." The Jbird is also very reactive. With a horse like that - you must always be on your toes at all times and be looking down the trail farther than the horse to see what he might spook at. If you see it first you can usually "work them through it" without you becoming a yard dart. If he sees it first and reacts - he sounds like he is much quicker than your reflexes can handle. Try eyes fixed 50 meters down the trail - taking in all you can see so you are not surprised.

Truman

Elysa Braunstein wrote:
Here are my questions: 1., how long before I can ride again (my other, non-spooky horse)? Do I just wait til it stops hurting too much? 2., anyone have any suggestions other than a velcro-butt graft? 3., how many times have you ridecampers fallen off a horse before you started questioning your sanity regarding that particular horse? 4., on average, how many times do you fall off per year?

I probably fall off 2-3 times per year. I've probably ridden 2000 miles for my AERC 450 ;-) I had open abdominal surgery 3 months ago. I am built like a weeble (but I do fall down) (for people under 40, that means I'm short, fat, and have teeny-tiny legs and arms - ooooooh, pretty!). (I am trying to lose weight, and I exercise both on the horse and off). I think Splendor is a wonderful horse. I still take riding lessons, from an excellent rider and teacher. Any problems I have are my fault, not hers. Trust me, she's INCREDIBLY patient with me. I have had some fear issues, but those may be behind me. I ride in a Big Horn Endurance saddle, and a Specialized Trailmaster saddle.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Elysa

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics