Re: [RC] one more and then I will shut up, I promise - Keith Kibler

Robert R wrote:

If I wanted a heart monitor that isn't integral to the gps but just carry an extra gadget directly for that purpose, are they any brands you would recommend. In looking at the 305 from Garmin, I can't tell just who "good" of a unit it is. Can maps be download? Can waypoints be entered pre-ride from a topo map? Will it chirp when I am passing a certain distance towards an entered waypoint? With the 10 hour battery life, I'd have to carry a spare set with me all the time on a longer ride but some of the others (Etrex and a few more) have 25 hour battery life So know I am a bit beginning to think two separate gizmos may be a simpler solution. What do you think.
*This email scanned for Viruses and Spam by ZCloud.net using _/SpamViper/_*

Robert, I am very familiar with garmin 101 foretrex, 201 forerunner and 205 forerunner. I have owned and used different heart rate moniters for running and
triathlons for over ten years and use a 205 forerunner for endurance horse training. So, that is the basis of the answers I would pose to your questions.

The 205 forerunner I have is the 305 you are asking about without the heartrate feature. You will have to buy an adapter from a 3rd party to use it on the horse.
The 205/305 forerunner from Garmin has new chip technology that is wonderful in the woods,the unit is small and wears like a watch.
Maps can NOT be downloaded
. The "maps" you are talking about wont be on your garmin. It does not show roads or anything else except what you put into it yourself by either hand loading
quardinates or (more likely and easier) by what you take the unit over while you are moving and then stop to mark points.
The 305 does not use batteries and so there is no such thing as a "spare set". It is rechargable. What you can do, and I do is buy an ever ready quick charger or "instant charger" that does use 2 AA batteries. You want the one that is compatable with the RAZR phone. This will then plug into the base of the small charging unit for the gps that you will have to carry with you. The everready instant charger is about $20. I use is for my phone, my mp3 player and my Garmin.
If you have gone over the trail before and you are following it again, it will beep and tell you to turn. It also tells you that you are arriving at the end.
Hope this helps
Keith Kibler
Shawnee Sunrise Farm
Marion IL