Re: [RC] [RC] one more and then I will shut up, I promise - April

Hi, Robert,

The 305 is a great unit for HR, speed, distance, averages, etc. The nice thing is that it's on your wrist, so the data is readily available. It's geared towards runners mostly, so it has a lot of training features that map very nicely to endurance training.

However, it doesn't allow maps to be downloaded to it. If you're looking for something like that, you'd be happier with an eTrex. Or maybe an eTrex and a 305? ;-)

If you go with an eTrex, make sure you get one that has H in it's name. Like the Legend HCx. This is a very nice color unit that takes maps, a memory card (microSD) and has the high sensitivity receiver (the H). Maps cost extra. We picked up a Legend HCx for my husband (hiking and car navigation) for $225. The maps will run you another $100.

Regarding battery life, the 305 does only have a short battery life. And it's a rechargeable battery, not AAs or the like. Something I've had to learn to deal with. At vet checks, I plug my 305 into a usb battery extender I picked up for $10. This little goody takes 4 AA batteries and has a USB plug. I plug the 305 into it and it charges while I'm doing the vet check thing. Works for getting me through long 50s with plenty of battery power. We're luckier than other sports in that we have these built in stops.

The 305 will take 100 waypoints. However, there is not a proximity alarm, meaning it won't beep at you when you're close to one, but you can see the waypoints on the map screen (which shows the waypoints and a plot of where you've been recently). You can also choose to "goto" a particular waypoint and it will give you a compass directing you to that point and telling you how far away it is. You will get an alarm when arriving at a point you have selected to "goto."

Whether you want the 305 or the eTrex really depends on how you want to use the unit. If maps are a deal-breaker, then the eTrex is your unit. If you can do without maps, I think the 305 is a really nice unit.

April
Nashville, TN
http://endurancerider.blogspot.com