Re: [RC] [RC] So many questions, no little time - Dawn Carrie

I can't speak to the details of this particular ride, as I've never done it, but you should not need a crew for a 50.  To make things easier on yourself, get your vet check/hold stuff kinda organized the night before (or that morning before you start), so that you're not trying to find stuff when you get back to your trailer for your hold.  I'll often have my beet pulp/feed mix in a feed pan ready to add water, a flake of hay, and a water bucket sitting next to the trailer where I'll tie my horse for the hold...when I get back to the trailer, I tie the horse, add water to his beet pulp/feed mix to make a slurry, and he's set.  Then I can get something for me to eat/drink and sit outside and keep an eye on him.  Your first few rides you'll feel unorganized, but after a few times it will all come together as you develop a routine.

And Barbara was right as to the minimum stuff you need...don't rush out and buy all the bells and whistles at the beginning...figure out what works that you have, what you'd like to change, see what others are using that you would like to incorporate, etc.  It takes a few rides to get an idea of what works and what doesn't, and which things you'd like to change.  It just takes a smart rider and a conditioned horse to complete the ride...having lots of neat toys and fancy tack on board doesn't help a bit.  :)

Oh...before buying a HRM, I would buy a good quality stethoscope (not a cheapie) and get familiar with taking your horse's HR *and* listening to his gut sounds.  Become familiar with what NORMAL gut sounds are for your horse.  That way you will know when they are not normal...either much quieter or much noiser (too much noise could indicate gas).  Carry that steth around at home and check him in the pasture to see what he's like as a baseline.  Check him before and after conditioning rides, etc.

Dawn Carrie, Texas