Re: [RC] Clarification - Truman Prevatt

Let me tell you my big problem with the new "kinder and gentler AERC." When I first started this sport, there was a rider that seemed to have her horse hooked up way too often. One day at a ride I walked past her at a vet check and her horse stretched and peed brown and her comment was something like, " well looks like I better go get you some fluids old boy." It was a very cavalier attitude - one that in my opinion the AERC should not be fostering. Clearly the attitude is not something I think we should promote.

While problems do sneak up on you - humans also have the ability to overlook minor problems when it could cause a changed plan. For example - "he had a mild gas colic two weeks ago but he should be okay and I really want to go to the Bo Diddley Memorial ride next weekend. I'm sure he will be okay. Maybe yes, maybe no. But clearly other factors have entered the equation. That's fine if they are balanced. But are they always?

There is also a difference in "doing something wrong" and making a mistake by missing something that might have been caught and I think that is the crux of the issue at hand. A rider can make a mistake but not "do something wrong." However, it will not matter to the horse if he is sick because there was a mistake or because he "did something wrong." Clearly the rider I referred to above might have made a mistake - the first time but what about the second, third....?

You are right a sick horse at a ride is none of anyone's business at the ride except the vets and the rider and owner (if different) because at that point the horse needs treatment. However, the fact there was a sick horse at and AERC ride is the business of the AERC and the AERC should be very proactive trying to determine what lead to the horse being sick and what could have been done to prevent it. That is what horse welfare is all about. Part of that equation is being willing to establish responsibility and if necessary accountability.

And yes if my horse gets sick - it is my responsibility. The rule is very clear: "...but the competitor is ultimately responsible for self and mount before, during and after an endurance ride." It is my responsibility independent of the fact that it might not be "my fault" - that is I did not intentionally over ride him. At least IMO responsibility becomes fault if there are multiple times that my horse gets sick for whatever reason - even if the reasons is a simple as the horse is not cut out to do the sport.

The basic issue I have with the article in question is - it seems to be one step toward the attitude "well looks like I better go get you some fluids old boy." It almost smacks of the "let's make it okay so we don't bruise the self esteem of the riders that they need to have their horse treated." If you horse needs treatment "...the competitor is ultimately responsible for self and mount before, during and after an endurance ride." If they don't get treatment the rider is not living up to his responsibility to both the AERC and his horse. IMO the AERC should not be in the self esteem business - they should not be in the business of worrying about bruised self esteem nor should they be in the business of worrying about "how bad the rider feels." Just think about how bad the horse feels. If they want to address the issue that horses that need treatment need to get it - it should be addressed as the welfare of the horse is the rider's responsibility and if the horse needs treatment it is the riders responsibility to get the horse treatment. Living up to that responsibility is what is important.

When I tried to kill my horse did I fell bad - you are damn right I did. However, bruised self esteem was the last thing on my mind when I ran for the vet or when I delivered him to UF at 2:30 AM. My only worry was him recovering - which he did fairly quickly. IMO - and this might not be popular - a rider that would even allow the issue of bruised self esteem over a perceived "stigma" of treatment get in the way of seeking treatment for a horse really is not mature enough to be riding endurance because they have not recognized the responsibility they have to their horse or as it says, ".... the competitor is ultimately responsible for self and mount before, during and after an endurance ride."

I see the article in questions sending the wrong message.

Truman

Beth Walker wrote:
I'm probably going to regret jumping into this issue, but I disagree. Horses can get sick, colic, or get hurt at any time. Sometimes, in retrospect, you can say: yes, I missed something - it was there, but I missed it at the time. In those cases, hopefully you learn something and don't repeat the error. However, sometimes there really wasn't any indication that there was a problem. I don't see the sense in saying "you should have caught it, seen it, or been clairvoyant" when there were no indications that anything was wrong.

I don't think that, if I am at a ride and see a horse hooked up to IVs, I have any business assuming that the rider did something wrong, or overrode the horse, or deliberately ignored a problem when I have absolutely no information about the situation. The determination of whether the rider was in error should be between the rider, the vet and ride management.

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics