[RC] Santa Fe Adventure part I - Laura Hayes

Loving an adventure and determined to make the most of any situation, I headed west from western NY to Santa Fe with my large hairy protector, Maxx, riding shot gun.  The inexperienced and naive mare, Mo in the trailer, and all that we would need for three weeks on the road.

In endurance family fashion, we stopped for the night at complete strangers homes in Carthage MO and Amarillo TX, making wonderful friends along the way of Dina and Carl in MO and Heather and Doug Blashill and family in TX.

At Santa Fe Downs, the defunct race track where we assembled, the stalls filled up with fresh horses and the barnyards with excited riders.  I found old friends - Duane and Karen Frederickson, Jim and Cindy Brown and others, and made new ones faster than I could keep track of them.  No one knew what to expect of this endeavor, but we all shared the sense of adventure and the love of riding our equine partners down the trail.  It didn't take long to form bonds with each other that will last forever.

I picked my husband up at the airport.  He would crew for me for the first few days, then was contracted to join the veterinary team when we got to Kansas.  He lent a hand with the initial vet in and formed a great rapport with the other vets on the ride and felt satisfied that the horses and riders were in good hands.

The first day's ride, after working together to shuttle horses to the start up a road turned bad by recent thunder showers, was stunningly beautiful.  We rode the top of the Gloriosa Mesa with views of the Sandia Mountains.  The air was fresh and clean, the company was delightful (including the drag riders) and the frequent water set out by management was welcome.  Coming down off the mesa reminded me of a part of the Old Dominion with a single track littered with rocks and a view of the valley below, but this section of trail was twice as long as that in VA.  We thanked the weather gods for not bringing us the daily storms we had been experiencing when we saw the evidence of the flow of water directly down the trail from the previous storms.

Riding along in the back of the pack on this day were new riders, experienced riders, cowboys, english saddles, Arabians, Paints, Spanish Mustangs, Tennessee Walkers, and Quarter Horses.  I am sure in my 7500 career miles I had not ridden with so diverse a group.  We all shared the desire to see the country, accept the challenge and enjoy the day.  We neither hurried nor tarried, told many a story and had a great time. The two vet checks went well for the number of inexperienced riders and new management.  Lunch was provided, as it would be every day of the ride - a ham and cheese on white bread, a packaged cookie, doritos and an apple. My seven year old green-as-a-bean mare, Tifaan, aka Mo, completed the second 50 miler of her career in fine form.