RE: [RC] GSFHR - Jim Holland

Barbara,

Personally, I believe the welfare of the horse is more important than the bruised feelings and ego of a rider. That will pass and perhaps this would be a deterrent to others.  If “bashing” a rider for poor judgment or overriding their horse, or even imposed sanctions on riders by AERC for such behavior saves the life of even one horse in the future, IMHO that is far better than hiding the facts to “protect the feelings” of riders.  According to AERC, the rider is responsible for the welfare of their horse.  That being the case, if they fail in that respect they should be prepared to accept the repercussions. Endurance is an extreme sport. When you enter a horse in a ride you are putting him in harms way and you KNOW that death is a possibility. The horse has no choice in the matter and I think too few of us are willing to speak on his behalf.  Besides, we have a surplus of horses anyway, I guess. What’s one more dead horse?  Miniscule in the overall scheme of life, I suppose. I’m probably just “beating a dead horse” here.

Perhaps if AERC provided more detailed and timely information, there would be less rumor and innuendo.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland

Three Creeks Farm

175 Hells Hollow Drive