Re: FW: [RC] Santa Fe Clarification - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Here's an example:

I bought two new hi-ties for the horse trailer.  I took the horses to BSF this past weekend, and they were on the hi-ties for the first time at a ride.  Both horses are very much use to laying down in an electric pen at rides.  On Thursday night, I watched them.  Neither horse layed down.  They didn't "think" they could.  Even though they had plenty of room.  That day, Cash Pony was so crabby, you couldn't touch him.  If you just walked by, and rubbed his neck, he would back his ears and threaten to bite you.  That night, the night before the 100, I watched them again.  They both layed down, and stayed on the ground the entire night nearly.  Only got up to eat some hay, then lay back down.  They were tired from the night before.  The next day was the ride, and all went pretty well.   Cash finished 5th (tie) and received high vet score.   Rose was out for the girthy issue.   Point is,  standing in one place all night made them feel bad.  They weren't rested, and it showed the next day on Grumpy, crabby Cash.  So, yes, standing in a trailer where they can't lay down is a bad thing.

Jody

Mike Sherrell <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is it bad for horses to stand in trailers overnight?

Regards,

Mike Sherrell
Grizzly Analytical
707 887 2919; fax 707 887 9834