[RC] GSFHR - Marinera

While we rightfully grieve over the loss of the two horses in the Great Santa Fe Horse Race and question whether or not this Race should have been sanctioned by AERC, I would also question
whether or not the loss of horses would have been far greater if the AERC had not sanctioned it.  With sanctioning come certain criteria in regard to stringent vet checks and "fit to continue" that probably would not have been in place if AERC were not involved.  And perhaps another Katoosa tragedy would have occurred.
A serious accident took place.  Somebody will be held accountable.  But I have no facts about it other than what I have read on the AERC Member Forum and Ridecamp.  I cannot rush to judgment at this point and I hope it does not set a wonderful sport back into the dark ages. We have come so far in protecting our horses BECAUSE of AERC.  It would be far worse to see the safeguards we have put in place abandoned in future rides because of this one tragedy.  Julie Suhr

See what's new at http://www.aol.com