[RC] GSFHR - Tx Trigger

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070912/BREAKING01/70912024

Horse rider struck by car at finish line

By Juliana Goodwin

Speaking from a hospital in Wichita, Kan., Teresa Wilcox said ?I?m one lucky
woman. I?m one lucky woman.

Wilcox of Chadwick was taking part in an endurance horse race Tuesday and
was struck by a car just as she crossed the finish line outside of Canton,
Kan.

Her horse, Mr. Valentine, died on impact.

?Luckily my horse saved my life. He was tall enough it ejected me over the
vehicle instead of into it. I heard people screaming and hollering. I?m sure
I was doing my share? Wilcox said.

Teresa Wilcox and Katy Tynes of Springfield were featured in a News-Leader
article before they set out for the Great Santa Fe Trail Horse Race
Endurance Ride, an 800-mile trek from New Mexico to Missouri. The race will
conclude Sept. 15.

They were raising money for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Springfield.

Wilcox owns a tile business and trains horses. Tynes is a therapist, social
worker and former president of the board of Boys & Girls Club.

The women started the race on Sept. 3 with seven horses.

They split up during the race, said Patrick Gartland, executive director of
the club, who spoke with Tynes on Tuesday.

Tynes joined a Kansas group and Wilcox went ahead with another rider.

Tynes told Gartland both riders were airlifted after the accident.

Wilcox was still in the hospital, but did not have any broken bones. The
other rider she was with, who is from Oklahoma, suffered a dislocated hip
and broken thumb.

Both horses were killed in the accident.

Wilcox was determined to win Tuesday, the ninth day of the race, as she had
already won two days of races.

In Kansas, she said schoolchildren were waving them on. Everything was going
great. A little dog followed her the last three miles of the race.

As the crossed the finish line, she was laughing and waving.

?When you?re running that fast, they (the horses) are just flying,? Wilcox
said. ?Both of us were just a smiling and all of a sudden I saw this car and
said ?Oh, crud.? I hit that car and it was like hitting a wall. I was in the
air. It happened so fast. I saw a pole, a stop sign and I tucked into fetal
position.

I thought I busted all my body up. I felt like I was bleeding inside. It
seemed like eternity laying on the ground.

Wilcox was not sure how far the finish line was from the road.

The McPherson Sentinet reported that the driver of the vehicle was
transported to McPherson Memorial Hospital. An official with the McPherson
County Sheriff?s Department said the driver would not be charged.

Wilcox said she does not know when she will be released from the hospital or
what she will do next.

Taking it one hour at a time, she said. I walk around. I walk like an old
lady, but I'm walking.

The organizers of the event had not contacted her.

I feel really bad about my horse and her horse, too. Wilcox said. It's a
damn shame.