[RC] GSFHR - Bruce Weary

Jim--
How is the view from the cheap seats? You must remember that the entire death reporting system is inherently slowed by several factors, no matter who is running the show. First, some riders are so emotionally distraught over the loss of their horses that they often are reluctant, slow or unwilling to share the details of their horse's demise that getting enough accurate information to formulate the initial vet report can be time consuming, if it's possible at all. Maybe we could appoint you "Special Liaison" to the HWC to redirect your badgering to the owners of these lost horses and coerce them into giving us the information we seek. Your ex-Marine status might come in handy here, and add some shine to AERC's public image by doing so. Add to that, some riders move and are hard to locate, and sometimes don't answer calls and emails. Then the report is reviewed by the vet committee, which meets by teleconference once a month, and has other issues regarding our living horses to tend to. Then the report is sent to our HWC, and Laura amends the report to protect all privacy issues, but leave the pertinent content intact, so our membership can have a basic understanding of what happened. We are finding it can take a year or more to complete this process, sometimes less time.
Jim, you always seem to be anxious for the newest news regarding a horses death, like a chained dog that can't quite reach a bone just out of reach. What do you plan to do with this information, once it is available? What have you done with and about the dozens of reports already published and available? Our committee hasn't received any specific suggestions from you concerning any specific conclusions made from any specific death yet.
I had the chance to speak with Wayne Dyer a few times, and he told me a great story about situations like these. He was driving in a rainstorm one time, and drove his car into two feet of water, and killed the engine. As he was trying in vain to start the car, the guy behind him in a pickup truck was really laying on the horn. Wayne calmly got out of his car, walked back to the guy's truck, and said: "I can't seem to get the car re-started. How about if you go give it a try, and I'll stay back here and lay on the horn?" The guy realized the futility of the situation, and helped Wayne get a tow truck, instead. Seems like a good solution to me. Dr Q