Re: [RC] AERC National Championships with an International - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

our system, and typical FEI system: as soon as the rider presents  it's
horse to the pulse timer, the horse pulse time (criteria) is  recorded. The
rider does not have to wait for anybody to take the  pulse. The rider then
gets the time slip from the pulse >>timer and  goes directly to the vet

Here was my experience. We were in a HOT open field. All water had to be
trucked in so was limited. You stood your horse in the shade and really put the
water on until you got his pulse down. Then carefully led him across the hot
open area to enter the P&R area pouring the water on the whole way, there you
are given a slip of paper with the time. Now you are in the "no crewing zone".
The sun is brutal. You walk your horse another 20 yards and see that all the
vets are busy. They are taking their time because they *should* be thorough on
a tough course. Meanwhile my horse's temperature is climbing. It won't matter a
bit if my horse was 64 when he entered the pulse area if his pulse climbs back
to 68 standing in the glaring sun.  Had there been a pulse taker he could have
had his pulse confirmed immediately, then it wouldn't have mattered if he was
68 when the vet saw him. The vets, most of whom ride themselves, understand.

if it has not - the rider takes the horse back
out of the pulse gate and starts over again.

At Biltmore or OD this year you would have had ONE more chance or you were
disqualified. If you didn't have enough water to really get it on them, you
would have been out of luck.

The whole point of this system is so that the rider does not have to  lose
time waiting for somebody to get to them and take a pulse.

I have never, ever had to wait as long for a pulse taker as I had to wait for a
free vet.

It' s  a bit of an 'honor system' in that a rider could fudge by a few
seconds or minutes between pulse gate (criteria) time recording, and
verification by vet or official.

Again, the P&R takers got to the horses quicker, which left less room for the
"fudging". With the hand held heart monitors getting rid of the worry about
inexperienced or dishonest pulse takers, I think our method is far better.

As to the radios. SERA bought them and sends them to the rides. Nancy writes
down the time the horse enters the pulse area. If the horse isn't down she
simply marks through it. She accumulates 5 or 10 names, adds their hold time
and radios it to the out timer. We never have to bother with going to the out
timer or any slips of paper, etc. Nancy is the only person recording it so no
problem with inexperienced recorders who are more prone to mistakes with
numbers. The vet secretary adds our hold time on our card for our benefit.

Angie