Re: [RC] AERC National Championships with an International - Truman Prevatt

Yep I think you are right - they took a perfectly good system that had been honed to perfection over 20 years and screwed it up beyond recognition.

In the days of modern communications they had to go back to scribbling on paper - could be really interesting if it is raining. Sort of like in todays world of electronic communications requiring the use of the telegraph.

Truman

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Actually, the pulse time has been recorded when you passed into the gate in the SE for *many* years. I found the FEI method to be far inferior to what we had perfected through the years...their attempt to copy but determined they would automatically be "better". The idea that a vet *had* to take the pulse made it possible for the horse's pulse to climb standing in the blazing sun waiting for a vet to come available, and the vet was a 20 yard walk from the gate. With our method you would pass the line, have the pulse taken right there almost immediately, then you could wait patiently for a vet knowing you'd already made criteria which was important since they also have the "no water in the P&R area rule. You also feel free to let your horse eat while waiting having already made criteria. Then they added the stupid 2 strikes you're pulled to make it worse. The strips of timer paper slowed things down as P&R people had to try and scribble on them...more stuff to keep up with...while we have radios that convey the info ahead in a much more efficient manner. This system may be the final straw that makes me start avoiding any duel sanctioned rides. I have talked to a head vet at one of these rides who admitted that they too hated this system of having the vets take the pulse for making criteria.

Angie

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics