Re: [RC] Faking Lameness - Beth Walker

Sure ... however, this was 16 years ago. Things have changed a lot, I think. Also -- I retired him from endurance because I didn't want to chance a re-injury. He did do the LD at Warner Springs in 2006 at the age of 25, but a 15-year recuperation period is not what most folks have in mind. :)

However, for what it is worth (and as best as I recall): we treated him with bute for the initial inflammation, and started with hand walking for about a month, then another ultrasound. Based on the ultrasounds, we progressed to lunging in the round pen: first at a walk increasing the time in 10-minute increments until we got to 30 minutes, then added in the trot (5 minutes to start). When he was up to 30 minutes walk, trot and canter in the round pen, I started back to trail riding -- walk only for 30 minutes, keeping the round pen work, since I can only ride on weekends.

The rule was: increase duration OR intensity. Never both at the same time, and remember the work is cumulative.

I would figure out the work schedule for each week, and add it extra distance or more trotting, etc. I am pretty sure that when we got up to 30 minutes in the round pen, the schedule went to 3 times a week to give him some days off. Not sure about that.

We had a setback at 1 year (had just started cantering) :: the shoer wasn't paying attention and trimmed him crooked. We did a little canter up a slight hill and he restrained that side. It set us back 6 months: back to hand walking, etc.

Sorry it isn't more detailed, but it was a long time ago.