[RC] Checking the back/change for the sake of change - rides2far

I don't think the CT region is
incurring any problems doing checking backs this way.  it's
certainly as humid as the SE region so that's not a difference.

Exactly. It's working in your region and you don't want a national rule
requiring that you do what is working in another region. As near as I can
tell, 64 pulse is working quite well in the SE. I don't see a reason for
a national rule, *unless* someone like Otis Schmitt who vets practically
all our rides tells me he's in favor of it. If he is, I am, period.
However, since he often sets the pulse rate at rides and seldom drops it
to 60, I'll be surprised if he does. I did send him a personal note
asking his opinion but haven't gotten an answer.

Since I am a teacher I get to go to these *wonderful* >snork< training
sessions called "In Service" now and then. I got sent to one Friday. The
speaker is on the payroll of some national reform institute that spends
their time coming up with catchy phrases and new ideas they spring on us
and want us to use, all in the name of progress. New ones come along,
that usually contradict the last one, approximately every 3 years.
Apparently the word for this year is RIGOR. They want RIGOR in the
curriculum. We wasted a day we could have used getting our stuff ready
for students by sitting in focus groups discussing the meaning of RIGOR.
Our speaker began the session by showing a cartoon on the projector that
said, "What to do when you are riding a dead horse" The next frame was
something like, "Create a committee to study the horse" the next was,
"Declare the horse not dead" there were a few more, then finally their
answer GET OFF THE DEAD HORSE. Since I was quite bored and can draw, I
drew another addition to the series. It had a person trotting along on a
perky, happy  horse with a guy in a suit and tie in the background
holding a string of horses and it said, "I've got to convince them that
horse is dead so I can sell them more horses".  Of course it got passed
around with some snickering, then someone gave it to the speaker after
the session was over and she LOVED IT. I suppose she too was unconvinced
the horse was dead. By the end of the day, my sister-in-law who is in
administration at another school had heard about the cartoon. I was smart
enough not to sign it though. >g<  So, I guess I'm just one of those
people who resists change for the sake of change. By the way, I'm the kid
in my family who managed to get all my mom's furniture from when I was a
kid each time she upgraded. My house looks like the one I grew up in.
Unchangeable. :-))

Angie