RE: [RC] Checking the back/change for the sake of change - heidi

Relax, Angie.  NOBODY is suggesting a national rule that pulse criteria be set at 60.  Maybe you are confusing that with the proposal to change the fit-to-continue cut-off to be half an hour.

It is ABSOLUTELY the right thing to do to have the head vets set pulse criteria, based upon ambient conditions.  Heck, here in the NW, at an early check post-dawn on a chilly 100 in the fall, I might even go for a 68, just to get the horses in and out of there so they don't chill.

But it's sad that so many seem to be set in their ways and are not willing to LOOK at the advantages of running rides with a 60 pulse most of the time--you don't know if it will be a help to you in your area or not until you are willing to try it a few times.  I heard the same mindset when we had pulses of 72--and yet, once we dropped them and people began to see the advantages, I don't know of anyone who seriously wants to go back.

Likewise, having run rides at 60 for several years and seeing the advantages as compared to the years we ran them at 64, I am not willing to go back.

You don't know until you try.

Heidi

Exactly. It's working in your region and you don't want a national rule
requiring that you do what is working in another region. As near as I can
tell, 64 pulse is working quite well in the SE. I don't see a reason for
a national rule, *unless* someone like Otis Schmitt who vets practically
all our rides tells me he's in favor of it. If he is, I am, period.
However, since he often sets the pulse rate at rides and seldom drops it
to 60, I'll be surprised if he does. I did send him a personal note
asking his opinion but haven't gotten an answer.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=