[RC] Non-Arabs and HR Criteria - Kelly Ahearn-Wagner

? ?Compared to most Arabians, my Morgan gelding is big-bodied and heavily muscled with a perpetual layer of fat and a dense hair coat. For these reasons I was told by several experienced endurance riders that he would probably not pulse down in time to meet vet check criteria. In fact, he pulses down quickly.? On two occasions he hovered just above 60 after running in the front when the humidity was higher than I realized. I now carry a small heat/humidity indicator and slow down if it’s too high. I keep him clipped, soaked and hydrated. I always use a heart rate monitor and carry a stethoscope in case of electro-magnetic fields (which do occur in the most unexpected places). I generally aim for a HR of 50 as we come into vet check and 45 before departing. This has not prevented us from racing hard a few times per season.
? ?I support the 30 minute pulse-down time limit and think a HR criteria of 56 should be required, especially in hot humid weather. 2007 will be my Morgan gelding’s 5th season and we hope to pass the 2000 mile mark this summer having never experienced any metabolic issues.?

Kelly Ahearn-Wagner,PhD