Re: [RC] American River Crossing - Dana B.

Hi Dave,

I have an idea, although it's not exactly what you are looking for.

Are you familiar with Cronan Ranch in Pilot Hill?  It has great access to the South Fork of the American River.  It is easy to get the horses out into it and it is shallow along the banks.  Depending on the river level you can cross out to sandbars in the middle.  I've never crossed completely because it is private property on the other side.

That would be a good training, I think, because you are approaching and standing in a large, swiftly moving river (class II rapids midstream).  He wouldn't get the "let's go across" experience, but I think it would make him comfortable with being in that environment.  I would strongly advise Mon-Thurs if you can swing it - on Fridays the river levels rise considerably and there are frequent rafters (who might not appeal to your youngster ;-p).

On the whole, it's a great place to train a youngster.  I've crossed a number of times at Poverty Bar, and I think playing in the South Fork can provide a similar experience.

Dana Baldwin

"Smith, Dave" <dsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 Can anyone advise me of a river or creek crossing near the Auburn area that I can take Hermano to between now and the ride and do some training  on crossing rivers? I?m looking for a fairly wide stream, 20 to 30 ft across ? not too deep ? with low, flat banks on each side.

ddbpaso@xxxxxxxxx

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.