[RC] American River Crossing - Smith, Dave

In late June and early July I am going to ride the Western States Trail Foundation’s two-day “Educational Ride” on the Tevis trail.  If all goes as planned, the Sunday ride session will leave Forest Hill for Auburn, crossing the American River at Poverty Bar if the river can be lowered by the river managers.  I know I will have a difficult time getting my young mustang to make that crossing without prior preparation. I can just envision him and I being left behind because he’s afraid to cross.   Can anyone advise me of a river or creek crossing near the Auburn area that I can take Hermano to between now and the ride and do some training  on crossing rivers? I’m looking for a fairly wide stream, 20 to 30 ft across – not too deep – with low, flat banks on each side. Any help in locating such a place would be greatly appreciated.