[RC] Another Foxcatcher Thanks - Alissa Norman

This from a rider originally from Belgium, I think, who was riding her first AERC ride (she'd done endurance in her home country).  The Hokie spirit was definitely in Judie Ricci, as she agreed to ship Celile's horse up to Foxcatcher and let her horse stay at her camp the entire weekend.  I really do like Cecile's idea of continuing this "Hokie Spirit" kind of award in some sense.  So many great endurance folks, and so few ways to thank them...  This is why, even though I don't ride endurance as my primary focus in riding, I stay involved.  You guys really are the best.

"Alissa

I would like to nominate the crew member of Peggy Thompson on Crystal ( # 166) who helped me at the first hold for the Hokie Award.  It was a very nice lady with long brown hair who helped me cool Namaky even though she had another rider to take care of at the first hold. She also took his pulse and held him for me. She went out of her way for me. I don't know her name but Peggy would be able to tell you.

Every one I met on this ride demonstrated generosity. Some horses were great teachers. Peggy Thompson's horse baby sitted Namaky, then Jeanne DeVico's horse did it.  And of course, needless to say, I had YOU first to hook me with Judie and Pete Ricci and then, Judie and Pete Ricci to bring Namaky over. They also provided me with priceless advice all along.  So, many people qualify for the Hokie award!

Let me know if you do this again next year because I definitively want to contribute an award next year (like a $ 25 certificate at an internet store). I was thinking about something similar to the Hokie Spirit award: help a first time rider with trailing and advice, help a rider who has lost his or her horse so that rider can finish the ride, a generous attitude that allows someone to participate, etc. But we will have to find a different name than the Hokie Award. It will have to be a French word!

I had a great time and am on my way to get into the sport even more!

Cheers

Cécile"