[RC] American River Crossing - sherman

Cronin Ranch was my first thought as well. I have been in the river there, actually did cross completely  because I was following our trail boss. It was a great place to see if the horse would tolerate the cold, rushing water though. The current was so strong that one of the horses was pushed slightly downstream. You had to keep pointing upriver to avoid drifting. Someone mentioned recently that river frontage is okay to be on as long as it’s below the high water line? Maybe that’s why the trail boss crossed, I don’t know, but he is very knowledgable about land rights.

Also, there are some very good climbs and likely to be very hot…all good conditioning for the Tevis trail without the risks of the cliffs.

Kathy

Hi Dave,

I have an idea, although it's not exactly what you are looking for.

Are you familiar with Cronan Ranch in Pilot Hill?  It has great access to the South Fork of the American River.  It is easy to get the horses out into it and it is shallow along the banks.  Depending on the river level you can cross out to sandbars in the middle.  I've never crossed completely because it is private property on the other side.