Re: [RC] aluminum stirrups - Truman Prevatt

Sisu West Ranch wrote:
I expect the difference of service life has more to do with the actual quality of each individual stirrup than anything else.

When I was in college I worked on a summer intern program at Whirlpool in the quality control lab. There was an Aluminum flange that went into the refrigerator compressor. It was a very important part of the compressor. It took stress and if it broke - the compressor was junk.

We would inspect each new lot. We would do a chemical analysis since the spec called for a high quality alloy. We would also X-ray several to find "bubbles" from the molding process. We would do a physical stress analysis - both torsion and shear. There would be times we would reject several lots in a row simply based on X-ray. There would be a lot of air bubbles in many lots. There would be times we would reject based on shear strength.

Although this was high grade stuff and expensive for Aluminum parts - the variation in quality was fairly high. I am sure the process are better today. On the other hand I also suspect the Aluminum that goes into stirrups is not the highest grade of undergoes extensive QC testing.
**
I suspect that the wide variation in service life of stirrups probably has something to do with equitation. I weigh about 220 lbs and used the same pair of Al. stirrups for over 10 years with no problem. It may be that I put less weight into them than other folk. I do know that I have never had problems with the bottoms of my feet hurting during a ride. I also had a really bad knee injury in the '70's. Today I would have had surgery, then I just did my exercises and learned how to ride putting little strain on the knee, and thus less weight on my feet.
*Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875*
*(406) 642-9640*
*ranch(at)sisuwest(dot)us*

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics