Re: [RC] aluminum stirrups - Sisu West Ranch

Actually Aluminum is a rather ductile metal, that is it is quite easy to form by bending, or pounding.  It also will stress harden rather easier than some other metals.  After stress hardening, it is rather prone to metal fatigue or more properly stress cracking.  My Grandfather, an old school German toolmaker, called it crystallization.  It used to be called that because when it does break the fracture line follows the grain structure of the metal and you can see crystals, which actually were there all of the time.

Truman is right about the need for inspection.  The aircraft industry found out about this in the '50's with the mysterious crashes of the British Comet jetliner.  Since then all aircraft undergo scheduled detailed inspection to find cracks before rather than after the crash.

I suspect that the wide variation in service life of stirrups probably has something to do with equitation.  I weigh about 220 lbs and used the same pair of Al. stirrups for over 10 years with no problem.  It  may be that I put less weight into them than other folk.  I do know that I have never had problems with the bottoms of my feet hurting during a ride.  I also had a really bad knee injury in the '70's.  Today I would have had surgery, then I just did my exercises and learned how to ride putting little strain on the knee, and thus less weight on my feet.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640