RE: [RC] [RC] cervical stenosis and riding - Cheryl Charlamagne

Every case might be different-depending on age, habits, exercise, etc.. And am I in no way any type of medical expert nor am I endorsing any type of behavior.. Only your doctor knows your specifics, so you probably really need to talk with your doctor... with that said... Here is my insanity..

I had a lumbar laminectomy and discsectomy in 2004, and also diagnosised with spinal stenosis. I went through months of rehab. I was taught certain exercises to do to allievate stiffness and pressure. I still do all those exercises at least 5 days a week. When the weather is bad, I suffer from real stiffness and weakness in my back. Occasionally, I get the tingling in my foot from my ciatic nerve, but usually with some exercise it goes away. The neurosurgeon told me after rehab, I could pretty much do what I did before but that I would be limited for somethings, like lifting alot of weight, etc.

The Dr's will tell you to lose weight, quit smoking, etc. that could make the situation worse... I am not overweight, I do smoke, and drink, and horseback ride... I had the surgery in April 2004 and I picked up horseback riding (late in life) in May of 2005 and went on my first LD in November 2005.

Since, I have been back to my Dr. for about a dozen horse related injuries. Falling off, hitting a tree, wardrobe malfunction with my saddle, etc. The first time I showed up, my Doctor just said horseback riding was really good exercise, after about the 3rd time, the doctor said she wanted to reconsider that statement......... (ha.ha!!)

I wear a protective riding vest (tipperary eventer, which is WONDERFUL). I have fallen off more than once and I still get back on and will hopefully keep getting back on. I figure one day, one fall.... I will have to have the disc replacement and the fusion to keep my spine together...

I hope it works out for you and wish you all the best. It is rigorous to ride and with having physical limitations/difficulties makes it even harder. If you want some of my back exercises email me privately we can discuss....

cheryl

The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes is here. Get all the scoop. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline2