From: Cheryl Charlamagne [mailto:charlamagne40@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 11:12 AM
To: mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] cervical stenosis and riding

Every case might be different-depending on age, habits, exercise, etc..  And
am I in no way any type of medical expert nor am I endorsing any type of
behavior..  Only your doctor knows your specifics, so you probably really
need to talk with your doctor... with that said...  Here is my insanity..

I had a lumbar laminectomy and discsectomy in 2004, and also diagnosised
with spinal stenosis.  I went through months of rehab.  I was taught certain
exercises to do to allievate stiffness and pressure.  I still do all those
exercises at least 5 days a week.  When the weather is bad, I suffer from
real stiffness and weakness in my back.  Occasionally, I get the tingling in
my foot from my ciatic nerve, but usually with some exercise it goes away.
The neurosurgeon told me after rehab, I could pretty much do what I did
before but that I would be limited for somethings, like lifting alot of
weight, etc.

The Dr's will tell you to lose weight, quit smoking, etc. that could make
the situation worse...  I am not overweight, I do smoke, and drink, and
horseback ride...  I had the surgery in April 2004 and I picked up horseback
riding (late in life) in May of 2005 and went on my first LD in November
2005.

Since, I have been back to my Dr. for about a dozen horse related injuries.

Falling off, hitting a tree, wardrobe malfunction with my saddle, etc.  The
first time I showed up, my Doctor just said horseback riding was really good
exercise, after about the 3rd time, the doctor said she wanted to reconsider
that statement......... (ha.ha!!)

I wear a protective riding vest (tipperary eventer, which is WONDERFUL).  I
have fallen off more than once and I still get back on and will hopefully
keep getting back on.  I figure one day, one fall....  I will have to have
the disc replacement and the fusion to keep my spine together...

I hope it works out for you and wish you all the best.  It is rigorous to
ride and with having physical limitations/difficulties makes it even harder.

 If you want some of my back exercises email me privately we can
discuss....

cheryl

The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes is here.  Get all the scoop.
http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline2