Re: [RC] Serious Question//Cardiac Pacemaker in Endurance - Sisu West Ranch

Disclaimer:
While I am a Dr., I went to the wrong Dr school so I have no actual training in things medical or biological. The following is just the opinion of a somewhat cynical Geezer.

The booklets that are put out by major companies are written by lawyers on the basis of CYA*. They always list all possible complications and advise extremely conservatively. If you follow their advice, you will never have problems caused by the product, neither will you actually live and have fun. At a meeting years ago at a Fortune 500 company, a rather cynical lawyer suggested that we should put the following warning on a product:

Warning. Do not buy this product. Its use may be deleterious.

My bottom line:
Spend whatever time is necessary talking to your doctor so he actually understands what you propose to do. He also should understand how dedicated you are to distance riding. If you get vibes that he really is not up on the effects of extreme sports on his patients, ask him to either check with other doctors who know, or refer you to one.

All distance riders have decided, either explictly or implictly, that the rewards of participating in an extreme sport far outweigh the possible risks. Personally, I would much rather slide into my final destination, completely used up saying "Wow, what a ride!" than to expire safely bored watching a soap opera on TV.

With complete information, you can decide if the risks are acceptable or not to you. If they are go for it, if not figure out what activity you can do and learn a new sport. Remember your Dr. can not "forbid" you to do or not do anything, he can only provide advice.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875