Re: [RC] [RC] Snotty nosed horses...Compete or not? - Dbeverly4 - DVeritas

In a message dated 2/22/2006 12:43:14 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, KimFue@xxxxxxx writes:
Tuesday, my mare who finished the 100 with flying colors now has a snotty nose.  I would hate to think that she picked  up something at 20 Mule Team
Hi Kim,
    I would wonder about the incubation period for (what is being termed) "a snotty nose".
    If a horse has respiratory condition which would be serious enough to be contagious underwent a pre-ride vet check, wouldn't almost any vet be able to discern it, at least, note it and ask about it?  Were temps on "iffy" horses taken by riders, vets?  Are temps still taken out west as a part of pre-ride vet checks?
    Over the years, I have worried about this very thing.
    Other than "rider responsibility" in bringing or not bring a horse to a ride who might be sick or might expose other horses to an illness, what is it that can be done to safeguard the health of our horses?  (Other than regular and effective vaccinations, etc.)

Frank