[RC] [RC] Snotty nosed horses...Compete or not? - Dbeverly4 - KimFue

Well today. Tuesday, my mare who finished the 100 with flying colors now has a snotty nose.  I would hate to think that she picked  up something at 20 Mule Team because some riders chose to bring horses to an endurance competition that may have been marginal or may have been exposed to sick horses at home.  I really hope this snotty nose does not turn out to be serious and is going to be passed on to the other horses at my place.  Earlier today I had left a message with the rider I camped with that my mare may be sick.

I am going to assume that my horse coming down with a snotty nose is only a coincidence and not because some of my fellow competitors may have brought marginal horses to a competition.  But this thread is a good reminder to please leave sick horses or horses exposed to sick horses at home.  Because our horses all drink out of the same water tubs,  are handled by ride personal, etc.  it is really unfair to take a chance to expose fellow competitors to a bug.

FYI, all my competition horses are on a quarterly schedule for vacinations and no new horses have been on my property in the last 3 months to expose this mare to something.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648