[RC] PC card swiping system - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Alex North alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I went to the Presidnt's Cup on my own dime to watch and learn how it's done at
an endurance RACE. And make no mistake it's a 100 mile RACE.  I toured farms
and looked at training records before the PC.  At the PC I was drafted for the
intersting job of crewing and swiping the rider card for the Belgium rider.
And thank goodness she was running towards the end.  If the rider is running at
the front the swiping of cards turns into a scramble/shoving match between the
grooms who have cards for their riders.  The system is electronic and activated
by the rider's swipe card.  There are several sets of "booths" that the riders
pass through in the process.  As the horse comes through the first booth, the
card gets swiped by a groom who is responsible for that card all day.  The
groom then runs to an adjacent booth to get a paper printout of the time in.
The groom takes that paper with the card and runs to the next set of booths.
The horse has either trotted or cantered to the water and is being cooled to
criteria or close to criteria by other grooms.  When the horse is close to
criteria it passes through the next set of booths towards to vet and the groom
swipes the card again and gives the last paper to that booth and gets another
piece of paper with to take to the vet.  The first "swiping" of the card
notifies a different booth that the horse is coming in and it's vet card is
pulled and delivered to the vets as the horse reaches the vets.  The horse is
pulsed with a machine that displays the HR at the end of the trot lane.  Each
vet has a stop watch and the transmitter is placed on the horse for the same
amount of time for each horse.  The horse is then trotted out and vetted.  The
vet will use a stethescope to pulse it again and if all is well the handler
takes the horse to it's crewing area.  The "swiping groom" takes the vet card,
vet-in piece of paper and swipe card to the vet-out booth.  The card gets
swiped again and you get yet another piece of paper with the out time and other
information.
The horse has been worked on by other grooms while all the swiping is going on.
When it's time to leave on the next loop the out paper is delivered to an out
booth and the rider takes off when it's time to go.
If you have other questions feel free to email me.